Thursday, March 22, 2007

How I Got Involved with Spaceward Bound

Not too long ago, I fulfilled my lifelong dream of seeing penguins in the Antarctic region. I was so lucky since not many polar bears get to travel to the “bottom of the world”. One night while I was talking to Allan, the dad in my family, I mentioned that I had seen the extremes of the earth. Growing up in the Arctic Circle and then visiting the Antarctic region with the Icebreaker/global warming research trip made me feel that I had experienced a very wide range of events. [You can read about my Antarctic expedition at http://www.polartrec.com/allanmillerjournal - look for the entries with Mrs. Chippy in them.]
Allan thought for a minute and then replied that in many ways, there are many similarities between the Arctic and Antarctic. Further, he explained that there are many places that are very hot and very dry. Some places barely have any water at all. All of this was news to me and I became very curious. I began to read about areas on earth called deserts. There certainly aren’t polar bears or penguins in the desert! I asked Allan if there would be a chance to visit a desert.
Fortune smiled on me again because Allan has a friend who is joining a research expedition to the Mojave Desert at the end of March. Allan called Dan Wray who is a science teacher in Indiana to ask if he could include me on his expedition.
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 at 01:32PM by Dan Wray Post a Comment
Copyright © 2007, Dan Wray. All rights reserved.

No comments: