Friday, March 30, 2007

Working in the Laboratory and More New Friends

Thursday's Post:

We spent most of the day helping with lab work on the soil samples that we helped collect on Monday. We worked on setting up an electrophoresis (how's that for a BIG word?) and prepaing some samples for PCR. Electrophoresis is a way to be sure we found living microbes in the soil. PCR makes thousands of copies of DNA from the bacteria. Here are a few pictures so you can see what the lab looks like.




I also ran into a new friend. Maybe you have heard of him. His name is Flat Stanley. Flat Stanley is also a world traveler - just like me. Stanley has been traveling around the planet for many years and has had many, many adventures. I asked him if he had any advice for me as I begin to travel to many of the places he has been around the world. Flat Stanley's advice was simple: Be yourself, be polite, take your time to be safe, and everyone has been on a great adventure!



This last picture is silly. I decided to put on a disguise for fun. I put on a purple glove from the lab so that I would look like a chicken. I got comments about it from several people. Some said that it was 'udder'ly ridiculous, while others told me I had a bad 'comb'-over.

No comments: