Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Zzyzx, the Desert and Some Teammates



Finally, we have arrived in the desert. It looks a lot more like pictures of the moon than I thought it would. The station where we are living this week is situated along a dry lake bed. It looks very much like the pictures of the moon that the astronauts took when they visited a long time ago.

Zzyzx is an unusual place. It was built in 1944 to be a Health Resort. I am sure that at one time, it was beautiful. In 1974, it was changed over to become a desert research station. The rooms and facilities of the old Health Resort are still around but they clearly haven't been used as a resort in a long time.


Dan found the coffee station right away and had me hold his place in line.


Here is Dan Loewen with me sitting on his head. Dan just likes to show off how flat his haircut is.



Dan Wray and I joined Doug Porter and Christy Garvin on a little hike on the rock piles near Zzyzx. This is the view from the top.


1 comment:

fireball said...

Hi, dad! I'm glad we get to see you on spring break.... I can't wait! See you in a few days!!!